Pages


Saturday, October 2, 2010

October Is...

Down Syndrome Awareness Month

So...  It was ONE YEAR ago that I found out my new baby had an extra chromosome.
Down Syndrome IS a genetic condition caused by a chromosomal abnormality. Atypical cell development results in 47 chromosomes instead of the usual 46 chromosomes. As a result, there is some degree of cognitive disability and other developmental delays.
For people who don't know much or anything about Down syndrome it may seem scary at first.  New parents and family members aren't always excited about the word "delay" being associated with their child.  It's not so bad though!

Throughout the past year I have been very blessed that Kheaven's "delays" have been slight, and in some cases he was not delayed at all!

Kheaven amazed me at 2.5 weeks when he rolled over for the first time.
He astounded me when at three months he mimicked sever words and even a sentence, "I love you."
He started to "army" crawl right "on time" as well.
Kheaven just turned one a little over a week ago and has only been sitting for two months.
He just began to pull himself to stand and he has only done it a few times.
He has no teeth.
:)
The time frame isn't so important.  The drive I have witnessed in him, the drive I feel in myself and see in other families, who are part of the special needs community and who are not, that is what matters!

I hope over the next 29 days that I can blog about something you don't know.  I hope I can shed light on something you don't understand.  If you do know and understand this all, I guess this will be an opportunity to get to know me a little better.

No comments: