Pages


Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Home Schooling: Why?

I have been throwing the idea of homeschooling around for months, if not a year now and the more I think about it the more I want to do it. I know all the preconceptions, but I'm not like that. My kids and I are very social beings and while we may learn some things at home, we will be sure to get out and learn a lot other places as well. I don't see the point in having them in school from 8 to 3 only to have most of that time be spent in transition from one activity to another, not to mention the time that the teacher will spend disciplining. I went to a public school, and I don't think I turned out bad or anything, but I want more for my kids.

I want them to socialize through rec. department sports, martial arts, dance, music lessons, community theater, story time at the library, city choir and things of that matter. I would love to be in a school district that allows my child to participate in gym and music perhaps and definitely E.C. activiites. We will be a part of 4H or boy scouts and girl scouts. There is so much they can have fun with and learn from and I believe that homeschooling will give them the time they need to do those E.C. things without crowding their schedules.

My plan was to do a trial run of homeschooling this summer where I either revisited preschool lessons with my five year old or where I started kindergarten lessons to see how he and I deal with home schooling. No pressure. If it goes well I keep doing it, if it doesn't go well I enroll him in Kindergarten and he learned a little more than he may have otherwise. I've decided to start a little earlier though.

No comments: