Pages


Friday, October 9, 2009

Friday Photo Flashback: Grandpa


Grandpa
I met him when I was four or five...
He is one of the funniest guys I've ever met.
He can yell loud, and has from time to time.
He was always playing basketball, or hunting, or fishing, or working on TVs.
I love him.

On his wedding day.
...I didn't get to see grandpa last time I was in WI visiting.
He was in the hospital.
He had just had his 5th heart attack.
They were trying to figure out what to do.
I wanted to see him, but it was a short visit,
time and transportation were issues.

Grandpa and Grandma summer 2007,
The last time I remember seeing grandpa look really healthy.
He's older than any man in his family ever lived to be.
Even though his heart (the muscle) isn't strong,
it (in the metaphorical sense) is good.

He's going to go to heaven,
and it will be good.
I wasn't sad when he got sick,
because I know he'll be okay.

But now, after a stay in the hospital, they have sent him home to be under hospice care...
There's nothing they can do.
I know he's going to heaven.
I will miss his laugh though.
I will miss his yell.
I will miss him bombing people with wrapping paper at Christmas time.
I will miss his hugs.

I wish he could meet Kheaven.

I wish the kids would have a chance to know him and be "picked on" by him like I did.
They'll have my dad, and my dad is a lot like his dad, my grandpa,
so I guess a big part of him will live on...
Even in me a little, as I can yell with the best of them, especially at sporting events!
And, I have no problem bombing people with wrapping paper.

Friday Photo Flashback


4 comments:

More Than Words said...

What a wonderful post about your grandpa!! Quite a few people today posted about their grandparents!!!!

He & Me + 3 said...

This was a touching and beautiful post Amy. Love it. Your grandpa is a handsome man.

Foursons said...

I'm so sorry your losing such a beautiful man inside and out. This is hard. So hard. Unfortunately I know first hand what you are going through. I pray for peace and comfort beyond understanding for you and your whole family.

Kathy C. said...

Wow, what a beautiful story, and a beautiful legacy he will leave behind. How precious to have this man in your life - a priceless gift. :)