Pages


Saturday, June 26, 2010

Are they for real?!

Sometimes I wonder if I'm raising a baby, a toddler and a pre-schooler or if somehow I've been relocated to an alternate universe where my children are all of a sudden pre-teens.  Austin wasn't really a sassy toddler.  It was just him and me,(no siblings to compete with for attention) and he, as far as I can remember, seemed to listen wonderfully.  Nayeli has been a little more demanding.  I expect this from her, because she's my little princess.  The fact that she now defies me using complete sentences is a little disheartening.  I wonder why she's so reluctant to just come when I call her name... When I call for her a second time she yells back, "Why?"  I call her again and she says in a snobby tone, "What mama?!"  I don't think I talk to her, or anyone else like that.  Does she get it from Disney movies?  TV?  Or is this just how she is?

(She hasn't put her "cell phone" down in three days!!!)

Austin has become more of a free thinker than he was in his toddler days.  He too now questions my authority.  For anything I ask or say it seems I must have an explanation.  My least favorite thing is when I tell him not to do, or to stop doing, something he asks, "What will happen if I don't?"  It's not an unacceptable question, but I feel like he should know the answer...  a time out, or grounding from a game or toy, depending on the situation.  When he asks it feels like I can tell that he's weighing what he wants to do with the consequence.  This is probably a good skill for him to develop, but inside I'm thinking, "Do what I say because I say it.  I'm your mother and that's how it should be!"  


(Is he telling me to talk to his hand?!)

Kheaven got upset today because I wouldn't let him have a plastic bag.  He LoVeS crinkly things.  There's no way I'm letting him play with a plastic bag though.  I replaced the bag with a crinkly toy.  He was very upset and proceeded to start crawling toward the bag.  (It had the supplies I needed for cleaning out the hamster's cage in it.)  I moved it again and it was the end of him.  He pushed himself up on his arms as far as he could and threw himself over.  It was a fit.  Nine months old and throwing his first fit isn't too bad I suppose.

(Time for music lessons, already?!)

:-)  I "complain" but I wouldn't trade it for the world.  I guess I didn't expect my children to be this way so early in life, but I'll just use practice for when they're this way and their older...  I pray by then they understand respect and have enough for me to not do some (if not all) of these things.  And of course, the wonderful things that fill my heart with enormous amounts of love and joy occur more than the "teenagey" things.




5 comments:

Muthering Heights said...

Your daughter is probably just "wired" that way...I have a toddler like that too! :)

Far Above Rubies said...

Amy, your children are beautiful.

Your little one Kheaven is a doll. And princess with the cell phone - how adorable.

Thanks for passing by Windmills and Tulips. I hope your move goes well. xox

More Than Words said...

Yes, that is children for ya. They will try to test us and see how far they can take it. Sometimes they are just so cute when they are doing it!

Nicole.Ann said...

I'm not a mother but working with preschoolers and so many children, I understand how frustrating the above things you said were. But I'm glad you recognize the importance of these life-long skills they are developing. I think they are things that will help them to "soar" when they get to be our age, and with your molding, to "soar" responsibly and sensibly :-)

But never lose heart. You are a wonderful mother Amy and I give you major kuddos for being a young mother of three young children!! I wish there were more mothers as loving and as dedicated as you :-)

He & Me + 3 said...

The are just precious and I have gotten the talk to the hand too. Cute pictures.