Pages


Friday, May 15, 2009

5/14/09; Snake Hunting

Yesterday Jeremy and I packed up the kids, hopped on the interstate and drove 30 miles or so west. After making sure our socks were up high and our bug spray was on thick we ventured out into some wild nothingness. It was actually quite beautiful nothingness. Jeremy had gloves, a hammer and a hook thingy to hold any big poisonous snakes should we come upon them. I had my camera.

We found lots of little snakes! There were a couple of bigger Milk snakes... actually there were a lot of those, more than any other snake. We found two other types than that. Ring-neck and King diamondback? I don't know really. I'd have to have Jeremy tell me again and he's at work. The ring-neck was the only one that we found that doesn't bite, so Austin and I got to hold that one.

It was a lot of fun watching Jeremy turn over rocks. :-P We found some prarie skinks too. Those were sorta cool, accept they bite too. Ooh, we came upon a dead cow... That was sort of gross, but still a little cool. Austin was so tough. He walked a long way and it was exhausting. It was a very hilly area, and we had to be sooo careful of poison ivy.

We found bird eggs in two different spots. The first one was duck eggs. We know because when we got close the duck quacked really loud and flew away. There was a different nest on the ground with two eggs in it. Jeremy knows what kind of bird it was, but I didn't hear when he told me. The eggs that I posted a picture of are the duck eggs.

I got a tick on me, for the first time that I know of. I found it when I was getting ready to clean up after we got home. It was so gross. Jeremy plucked it off me with a tweezers and flushed it down the toilet. Then we checked the kids over. They were tick free. :-)

It was quite the adventure and I can't wait to do it again! (I'm pretty sure Austin can't either.) :-D











No comments: